Lilypie First Birthday tickers

1.28.2009

Antiguan Thanksgiving!!!! and my Parents 30th Wedding Anniversary

Thanksgiving in Antigua was an amazing trip. We left on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and met my Mom, Dad & Adam in Atlanta where we caught a direct flight into Antigua. After 4 hours on a plane and way too long in Customs (the Antiguans have no concept of time) we were on our way to our fabulous home for a week, Carib House, on English Harbor. We really never thought we would get there in the car, but when we pulled up to this house, we all were amazed. We met our wonderful hosts, Lou & Johnny, at the house, where they promptly fixed us a drink and had the Ole Miss-LSU game on TV. To begin what was to be a wonderful trip, the Rebs won (not just won, they kicked LSU's butt all over the field, can you tell I'm a proud Rebel)...What more could you ask for to begin vacation! That evening, after the game, we ventured down to Nelson's dockyard for dinner. We found a cute little Bistro that was open, where we got to sit outside and enjoy the Carribbean. The waiter was great and when we told him that it was Mom and Dad's 30th anniverary, he promptly brought them a shot??!! Being the troopers they are, they took their shots and the fun began! When we got home, I was running up the stairs to the bathroom and split my big toe wide open. Matt cleaned me up, bandaged my toe and we turned on the music, and decided to check out the area around the pool. While helping Mom feel the water, I accidentally dropped her in the pool fully clothed. Feeling bad for having dropped her in the pool, I decided to join her in my jeans and t-shirt! On Sundays in Antigua, they have a party at Shirley Heights. Not only is this one of the best views on Antigua, it's a really fun party with plenty of rum punch, which Matt and Adam took to like a duck to water. They drank enough to drain Shirley Heights dry, but somehow, they only had more!!!!!! On Monday, we took it easy by the pool and of course went out for a more fabulous meal! On Tuesday, we went on a private sail boat tour of the island. The boats name was Jaberwocky....could it be more appropriate?? Nick and his wife (her name escapes me tonight) picked us up in English Harbor and our day sail began. We sailed out of the Harbor and got to see some beautiful portions of the Island and got to steer the boat...we got to see Carlisle Bay resort, where Prince Charles & Camilla had just stayed, all of the fabulous homes on the island and the completely uninhabited portions of Antigua. While on the boat, we were to have lunch. We expected sandwiches, pasta salad...the norm for a boat....but NO we had fabulous ginger chicken with saffron rice, salad and roles. I mean this nice lady made this wonderful food for us on a 2 burner stove. (I can barely make dinner on my four burner stove without using all eyes and ever pot in my cabinet!!) After a day on the water, we returned home and Ruthie was there to make us an amazing dinner. We had a fresh salad, a gourmet cheese plate, shrimp ka-bobs and large tuna filets. WAY TOO MUCH FOOD, but it was an amazing meal, all made from scratch! On Wednesday, the guys needed to play golf!! and Mom and I went to beach near the golf course. A little change of scenery...We had lunch at the beach, the guys took off and Mom & I headed for the shore. While having a wonderful and relaxing day of reading, sunning, and watching the German tourists attempt to tube & make fools of themselves, we needed some cooling off. So we decided to go for a swim. The water was wonderful, but as we were enjoying ourselves, this presumably European man had enjoyed as much of the water as he was going to and promptly stripped down (COMPLETELY) to change clothes. We're talking a full grown man. NAKED on the beach. I have never been more disgusted and awe-struck in my life. It was like a bad train wreck, you couldn't help but look. I mean who does this!! Well finally after the boys returned from golfing, we had drinks and watched what is possibly the most amazing sunset. Then we headed to dinner. Once we got home, we all relaxed and enjoyed tv and family time. That night, the events of our trip would change.... As Matt and I were getting ready for bed in our awesome bungalow, we heard a horrible scream come from the main house. At first, we thought my dad and Adam were playing pool and yelling at each other, but then another scream came too quickly, and I knew something was right. We ran down to the main house and found Adam and my Mom in the laundry room.. All I could think is what on earth are they doing??!! Well, my Mom had fallen and apparently broken her leg. I called 911 and the ambulance came. They took us to the hospital (I mean if you could really call it that). It was more like an open air facility resembling the scenes from MASH (you know that TV show set in Vietnam). When they say government subsidised healthcare, they mean you get nothing. Literally, my dad had to help do everything from do my mom's x-rays to wrap her leg in the stabalizing bandage to get her home. There is no continuity of care (but enough ranting on a blog about our fabulous vacation) Seriously, after 15 hours in the ER (what a JOKE!), they came home....My poor Mom was in so much pain and they gave her Ibuprofen??!!! really!!! So when she finally got home, on Thursday, we really just took it easy around the house. On Friday, we spent the day by the pool, enjoying our last day. That night Adam, Matt and I went to the Admirals Club for dinner in Nelson's Dockyard! (After watching the Rebels beat up on MS State, 45-0, Hotty Toddy). We had a fabulous dinner of Lobster Thermadour! and took take out to my Mom and Dad. On Saturday, it was time to go home.. SAD, Tear :( We had an uneventful flight home, which is alwasy good. On Sunday, Matt ad I picked up Shelby from her week at Camp and Mom had surgery to fix her leg. They put a titanium rod in her leg and she would be good as new (little did we know it wouldn't be until January :)

No comments: